Wednesday 23 May 2012

The Man Who Built the World - cover art ideas

The next novel I have due for publication is a stand alone spiritual horror/ghost story set in a fictional Devon village called Tamerton.  This novel is barely half the length of my first published novel, The Tube Riders, at 80,000 words, but is a very concise story with very little filler.  The cast of characters is much smaller than Tube Riders, and the action happens over just a couple of days.
Being the eternally broken person that I am, again I am attempting to do my own cover art.  The novel is still being polished so is some weeks away from publication, but I've already started playing around with ideas for cover art.

Here's a few I've made so far.  All were made using a online photo editor at www.lunapic.com, because I am such a skinflint that I don't even own a paint program.



This was my first attempt.  This uses a picture I actually took myself at a ski resort and then used a pencil sketch effect to get the strange style.  I like the colour but I'm not too happy with the fonts.


This is the same one with a red wash effect over the top.  While the novel is pretty violent, I think this looks a little tacky.

Same one again, this time with another effect over the top of the text.  I like this one better, but still not much.


For this next effort, I used a picture from www.pond5.com.  The original picture was of a couple walking away from a gravestone.  I cropped it to this smaller size, then put the same pencil sketch effect over the top.  The font I used for the titles was something strange called 1942.  I think this one looks best in thumbnail, but its pretty bleak.


This is my most recent effort, and is the same as the one above but with a different font.  I made it look embossed by putting the font on, then doing the pencil sketch effect, then putting the font over the top again, using a text effect called water which made it blend in rather well.  I think the titles look pretty good, not sure about my name though.


Edit - just made this one this morning, similar to the themes of the previous one I posted above, but I think the text stands out a little better.  This is probably my favorite so far, and if the book was ready now I would go with this one first out.  I like the way you can just make out the people, but you're not quite sure if you can see it or not.  I also think my name looks better in the middle there.

In a perfect world I would pay someone to make me an awesome cover, but I really don't want to shell out a lot of money if I can't guarantee it'll sell at least enough to cover the costs.  The picture alone for Tube Riders cost 75 UK pounds, and while sales are slowly ticking over it still hasn't recouped that yet, despite me spending nearly every waking hour trying to promote it.  People aren't joking when they say it takes time to get successful, but it makes me mad every time I read a blog by someone claiming that sales slowly pick up ... I read one last night that said something along the lines of "I had just 100 sales in my first month ..." Um, try five, including one to myself ...

Anyway, for anyone reading this who hasn't heard of me (pretty likely), my books are awesome.  Please read them!

CW



8 comments:

  1. I like the first one best. Picturing it in thumbnail, I think the last two wouldn't show up well in that size. I do like them, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Jeanne. I wasn't keen on the blue, myself. I thought it made it look very homemade.

      Delete
  2. I like the first one the best as well. I would buy it just based on the cover and title.

    I don't like the text at the very top, though: "When Angels Fell To Earth". Not sure what that has to do with anything. I also don't think you need to reference the other book you wrote. Just title and author should do it. And those trees, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Phyllis. The line at the top is kind of part of the blurb. I'm a big fan of busy covers, although I've cut it from later versions.

      Delete
  3. hmmm, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the last one is the best. However the thumbnail would be little more than a blur. It is very bleak, so have you tried different colour overlays etc? I do like the way you've done the title but with it being the same colour it blends in to the background a little too well and is lost.

    Bilinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, Bilinda. I like the last one too, but yeah, the colours are a bit samey. I like the atmosphere of it though.

      Delete
  4. I agree about the atmosphere, it's possibly why I like it the most. I love that creepy type of thing :)

    Bilinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I like the last one best ~ but there is the thumbnail issue??! I also like the placement of your name there. Don't think you need to spend loads of dosh ~ you have created a fab over : ) Hope it will be available on kindle!?!

    ReplyDelete